Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Sea





If you think the above graph represents a map of a route or something similar, you are far from being right. This is the first pictorial representation of numbers which I developed in my head when I was 7, And this picture has since stuck in my head. A few years after I had pained this imaginary picture of numbers in my head, I started to develop a perception of how human life's timeline looks like, and not surprisingly, given how we measure our progress in life by a "age" number, I applied the same picture with one important amendment: I draw a glowing line connecting 20 to 30, highlighting the fact how the 3rd decade of every individual's lifespan glows in terms of energy, activities, health and even hotness. I had also the perception that this is the decade where we become "complete", like how a full moon and beyond that point, we start decaying.

Finding out why I developed such a picture and what characteristic of certain numbers  break the line remains a mystery for psychologists to discover, but I can only speculate that perhaps my frequent look at the clock hanging on the wall in our house which had 12 numbers might have been the cause of the first break point.

What made me document my imagination of age numbers today is the occasion of the 30th birthday for one of my good friend which is conveniently located over the holidays in the calendar year (Inspired by Persian calendar, I also have a pictorial illustration of how days, weeks, months, and seasons are located in a calendar sheet). I was first going to write something on her FB wall, just like how everyone else does, but for some very strange reason, I can only very reluctantly persuade myself to write a simple "happy bday" wish on a FB wall, especially if it is the 30th Bday and for a close friend. So I decided to instead, dedicate one of my rarely-written blog postings to her!:)

I would like to end this post by clarifying that, as a person who has made his best achievement post 30th bday, I no longer hold the belief that the 3rd decade of life is the "glowing" one, or at least not the only glowing one. While we have still not found a good cure to eliminate aging or at least slowing down the process of physically decaying after we have past a peak point sometime in our middle or late 20s (in my perception at least), most of us become more focused on a much less number of goals when we enter our 4rth decade of life. This concentration of efforts can help one to progress much faster toward achieving at least one of her goals.

Happy 30th Bday Derya! We should do the video clip recording when we meet next!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! is this a memorized lecture you deliver to "everyone" who turns 30?

    ReplyDelete